What fever is too high for a teenager?
A fever is one way your body naturally fights against infections. High fevers are 103 degrees or above. A potentially dangerous fever begins when your temperature is at least 104 degrees. If you have a fever that is 105 degrees or higher, you need immediate medical attention.
What happens if you have a 104.5 fever?
Once a fever goes beyond the high level, an adult enters dangerous fever levels (104 F – 107 F). Once a fever reaches the dangerous level, also known as hyperpyrexia, it is a medical emergency and you should seek medical care immediately.
When should I take my teenager to the hospital for a fever?
For teenagers with a fever of 103 or more lasting longer than three days, seek medical attention. Similar to children, teenagers can have their temperature taken orally with a digital thermometer.
What should I do if I have a high fever of 104?
If you have a fever over 104°F (40°C) call your doctor. Call your doctor right away if you have a fever along with any of these symptoms: seizure. loss of consciousness….Treating a fever
- Drink plenty of fluids to help cool your body and prevent dehydration.
- Eat light foods that are easy to digest.
- Get plenty of rest.
How do you bring down a fever in a teenager?
How can you care for yourself at home?
- Drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration.
- Take an over-the-counter medicine, such as acetaminophen (Tylenol), ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) or naproxen (Aleve), to relieve your symptoms.
- Take a sponge bath with lukewarm water if a fever causes discomfort.
- Dress lightly.
What temp is too high for a 13 year old?
Fever temperatures A fever is a high body temperature. A temperature of up to 102°F (38.9°C) can be helpful because it helps the body fight infection. Most healthy children and adults can tolerate a fever as high as 103°F (39.4°C) to 104°F (40°C) for short periods of time without problems.
How do you treat a high fever in a teenager?
How can I lower my 15 year olds fever?
What is considered a fever for a 10 year old?
We define a fever as a temperature over 100.4 F (38.0 C). Normal body temperature is 98.6 F (37 C). Everyone’s body temperature varies throughout the day and can differ by age, activity level and other factors. Don’t be alarmed if your child’s temperature varies.
Is 104 a high fever for an adult?
High fever in adults, soaring above 104 degrees F, is something that cannot be neglected. Consultation with a doctor is a prerequisite to restore normal body temperature. High fever in adults, soaring above 104 degrees F, is something that cannot be neglected.
What is a good temperature for a child with a fever?
The Facts About Fevers. A moderate-grade fever is typically between 102.2° F and 104.5° F (39° C and 40° C). This temperature is still considered beneficial; if a child’s body has reached this temperature, it’s what’s needed to kill whatever bacteria or virus their body is attempting to fight.
Is a temperature of 104 dangerous for a child?
– Hyperthermia or fever, when the temperature is equal or above 38 ° C/100.4 ° F. Is a body temperature of 104 dangerous for a child? A body temperature of 40 ° C or 104 ° F in children is very high so take action and get in touch with your doctor. Children should have a maximum temperature of 37.5 up to 3 years old, and up to 37 until 6 years old.