Menu Close

What is Boggo Road jail now?

What is Boggo Road jail now?

The entire prison complex shut its doors forever in 2002, after 119 years in operation, when the last section of Boggo Road – the Brisbane Women’s Correctional Centre – was closed. Number Two Division is today the only remaining section of Boggo Road Gaol. Heritage listed, it will never be demolished.

Who built boggo jail?

The first cellblock opened on 2 July 1883, built by Robert Porter, contained 57 cells, and was constructed using materials from the demolished Petrie Terrace Jail. In 1903, a new prison was built to hold female prisoners.

How do I find out if someone is in jail in Brisbane?

Once the person has been moved to prison, you can find out where they have been sent by:

  1. using the search for prisoners form.
  2. emailing [email protected]

What is a gaol vs a jail?

Gaol is an alternative spelling of jail, and it means the same thing. Historically, gaol was predominant in British English until roughly 1935, at which point jail became the more popular option. Some British publications still use gaol, especially when referring to the proper names of a specific jail.

Is the Boggo Road Gaol open to the public?

After closing in 1992, the larger 1960s section was demolished, leaving the heritage listed section (built as a women’s prison in 1905), which is open to the public through guided tours run by Boggo Road Gaol Pty Ltd. It was officially known as “Brisbane Gaol” but was commonly known as “Boggo Road” after the original name of the Annerley Road.

What happened to Boggo Road?

In the 1980s Boggo Road was the scene of dramatic escapes, riots, hunger-strikes and roof-top protests which led to the prisons official closure 25 years ago in July 1992.

Is the Black Hand connected to the notorious Boggo Road Gaol?

Join Gaol Director Jack Sim and Research Co-ordinator Sue Olsen as they dig into the secrets of The Black Hand in Queensland, uncovering its connection to the notorious Boggo Road Gaol. Listen to the episode on the Black Hand S2 E10 of BOGGO – the official podcast of Boggo Road Gaol recorded live inside its walls.

Who was the first curator of the Boggo Road historical site?

The No.2 Division at Boggo Road opened as a historical site in October 1992, following the closure of the neighbouring No.1 Division. The first curator was Faye Smith, and former prison officer Don Walters later took over the job under the supervision of the Environmental Protection Agency.

Posted in Blog