How do you cite footnotes?
How to insert footnotes
- Place the cursor where you would like the superscript number to appear.
- Click on “Insert Footnote” in the “References” tab.
- The corresponding number will be automatically inserted in the footer ready for you to add the footnote citation.
- Type in your footnote citation.
Do you use quotes in Chicago style?
In Chicago format, block quotations are used when quoting five lines or more. single space a block quotation • place end punctuation at the end of the quotation, before the in-text citation or superscript.
Are footnotes indented in Chicago style?
Footnotes/endnotes are double spaced, and the first line only is indented from the left margin. In addition to footnotes/endnotes, your paper will also have a bibliography: a list of all of the sources you cited in your paper, arranged in alphabetical order by last name of each author.
Why do historians use footnotes?
Basically, historians footnote their sources for two reasons. First, footnotes are a way to acknowledge the help we have received from others who have worked on this subject before we began on it. No historian ever works in isolation; scholarly inquiry is an endeavor carried on within a community of historians.
What citations do historians use?
Historians most commonly use Chicago’s note-style citation, based in the Chicago Manual of Style, now in its 17th ed. (U of Chicago, 2017). Notes (either footnotes or endnotes) are the single most flexible and broadly-applicable form of documentation available to academic writers.
How do you insert a block quote in Chicago style?
How do I format a Block Quote in Chicago Style(CMS)?
- Provide an introduction to the quote.
- Begin the block quote on a new line.
- Do not enclose the direct quote in quotation marks.
- Single-space the block quote.
- Indent each line of the block quote by ½ inch.
How do you write a footnote in Chicago style?
- Include the pages on which the cited information is found so that readers easily find the source.
- Match with a superscript number (example: 1) at the end of the sentence referencing the source.
- Begin with 1 and continue numerically throughout the paper. Do not start the order over on each page.
How do you footnote history?
When you need to footnote, you should insert a superscripted numeral (use the Word tool: > INSERT > FOOTNOTE) at the end of the sentence after the full stop. Word then automatically places that footnote number at the foot of the page and continues to number consecutively throughout the essay.