What does intelligibility mean?
Definition of intelligible 1 : capable of being understood or comprehended jargon intelligible only to the initiated. 2 : apprehensible by the intellect only. Other Words from intelligible Synonyms & Antonyms More Example Sentences Learn More About intelligible.
What is the root word of intelligible?
Intelligible comes from the Latin word intelligibilis, “that can understand or that which can be understood.” The earlier meaning of intelligible was “able to understand,” which today is closer to the meaning of intelligent.
What is it called when you can’t understand someone?
“unintelligible speech” Synonyms: incomprehensible, uncomprehensible. difficult to understand.
How do you use intelligible in a sentence?
Intelligible sentence example
- Their action is intelligible enough.
- Another friend, who is as familiar with French as with English, finds her French much more intelligible than her English.
- Why not interpret at once and render intelligible the common conception originating in natural science, viz.
What is the difference between intelligibility and comprehensibility?
Intelligibility is the recognition of a word and/or grammatical structure of an utterance. Comprehensibility is the recognition of a meaning attached to a word or utterance, i.e. an understanding of a possible meaning.
What is an example of intelligible?
The definition of intelligible is something that makes sense and that can be understood. Simple and easy step-by-step instructions to help you use a new electronic product are an example of something that would be described as intelligible. Capable of being understood; clear to the mind.
What does intelligible mean in philosophy?
In philosophy, intelligibility is what can be comprehended by the human mind in contrast to sense perception. The intelligible method is thought thinking itself, or the human mind reflecting on itself. Descartes referred to this method of thought thinking about itself, without the possible illusions of the senses.
Whats a word for not caring?
Some common synonyms of unconcerned are aloof, detached, disinterested, incurious, and indifferent.
How do you talk to someone who doesn’t understand you?
So What Can You Do When People Don’t Understand You?
- Know why you need people to understand you.
- Understand how you contribute to the misunderstanding.
- Gauge whether the person is interested in understanding you.
- Let go of the need to explain.
- Focus on oneness, not the differences.
Is imperatively a word?
adj. 1. Necessary or urgent: “It is imperative that we continue to move with speed to make housing more affordable” (Timothy Geithner).
What is the meaning of intelligible?
English Language Learners Definition of intelligible : able to be understood especially : clear enough to be heard, read, etc. See the full definition for intelligible in the English Language Learners Dictionary
What do you mean by family?
English Language Learners Definition of family (Entry 1 of 2) : a group of people who are related to each other : a person’s children
What is the meaning of intelligence?
1. Capable of being understood: an intelligible set of directions. 2. Capable of being apprehended by the intellect alone. [Middle English, from Old French, from Latin intellegibilis, intelligibilis, from intellegere, to perceive; see intelligent .]
What is a structural definition of family characteristics?
Structural definitions of the family characteristically define the characteristics of family members such as those who share a place of residence, or who are related through blood ties or legal contracts.