Where does the garbage go Westchester NY?
For most of Westchester County, our household or business waste that is not otherwise recycled goes to the waste-to-energy plant in Peekskill, officially known as the Charles Point Resource Recovery Plant.
How do I dispose of a mattress in Westchester County?
Furniture Sharehouse accepts gently used basic furniture (including mattresses), re-distributing it free of charge to clients of several dozen Westchester County Member Agencies. (Furniture Bank Association of North America lists other furniture banks around the country).
How do I dispose of paint in Westchester County?
Westchester County Department of Environmental Facilities
- Oil-based paints are considered hazardous and must be dropped off at the County’s Household Material Recovery Facility (H-MRF) by convenient appointment.
- To dispose empty latex paint cans: Put them out next to the garbage with the lid off.
How do I get rid of a TV in Westchester NY?
To recycle your e-waste, visit the County’s Household Material Recovery Facility (H-MRF) which accepts a number of different types of electronic waste; including, cell phones, laptops, computers televisions and more.
How is New York garbage separated?
New Yorkers must separate recyclables into mixed paper or cardboard; and metal, glass, plastic or cartons. Once separated, they need to be placed in clear plastic bags or recycling bins. Do I need to rinse out containers? Yes, you must empty and rinse out any plastic food containers before recycling them.
What are commingled recyclables?
Single-stream (also known as “fully commingled” or “single-sort”) recycling refers to a system in which all paper fibers, plastics, metals, and other containers are mixed in a collection truck, instead of being sorted by the depositor into separate commodities (newspaper, paperboard, corrugated fiberboard, plastic.
Where can I donate books in Westchester NY?
WHERE TO DONATE USED BOOKS
- BIG BROTHERS & BIG SISTERS OF WESTCHESTER. 877-399-2570. www.bbbs.org.
- DARIEN BOOK AID PLAN. [email protected].
- FAMILY ISLANDS (EXUMA CHAIN) BOOK INITIATIVE. 967-7780 or 764-1421.
- FRIENDS OF THE BYRAM SHUBERT (GREENWICH) LIBRARY. 203-570-8527.
- THE SALVATION ARMY. 1-800-728-7825.
How do you dispose of gas in Yonkers?
Yonkers Fire Department at 914-377-7555
- Handling Tips For Household Cleaning Chemicals.
- Storage of Household Chemicals.
- Flammable liquids such as gasoline should be kept in metal containers with a safety cap and stored preferably in an outside storage shed.
How do I dispose of paint cans in NY?
Latex (water-based) and oil-based paint can be dried out and discarded as trash. Remove lid and use kitty litter, newspaper, or other absorbent material to soak up paint. Empty paint containers can be recycled (see nyc.gov/recycle).
How do I get rid of unused paint?
- Step 1: Combine With Cat Litter. Here’s how to dispose of latex paint without taking it to a recycling center.
- Step 2: Allow the Mixture to Set. Stir the cat litter into the paint until it thickens and won’t spill.
- Step 3: Throw It in the Garbage. Throw the dried paint in the can in the garbage.
How do you dispose of old box TVs?
How do you dispose of an old or broken TV?
- Donate your TV. There are many local charities that accept televisions that still work.
- Take it to a recycling facility. Depending on where you live, they may offer a pick up service.
- Return it to the manufacturer.
- Sell it.
- Give it away for free.
Are electric motors considered e-waste?
Question: Are simple electrical devices, with no circuitry, (such as an electric fan or a plain old clock) considered e-waste? Answer: Programmable devices contain electronic circuitry and are therefore UWEDs, whereas non-programmable devices would generally be considered electrical equipment/devices.
What does County waste management do in Westchester County?
Serving Westchester, Putnam and Fairfield Counties. County Waste Management is a full service company providing residential, commercial, and construction waste services throughout Westchester County. Our customers include residential homes, retail stores, manufacturing plants, and office buildings.
What is the recycling rate in Westchester County NY?
In 2018, the County continued to demonstrate why it is considered a regional leader in the field of environmental management by posting a municipal (residential) recycling rate of 53 percent and an overall recycling rate of 52 percent. The Westchester County Food Waste Study has been completed.
How to request a dumpster now in Westchester CT?
Request a Dumpster Now CT Customers Call 800-776-8537 or 203-792-2525 | Westchester Customers Click Here Home About Us The County Waste Team Residential Residential Trash Collection Recycling Services Residential Dumpsters Holiday Calendar Recycling Calendar Commercial Commercial Waste Collection Commercial Refuse Containers Refuse Compactors
What does the New York City garbage Commission do?
This commission was created to serve as a watchdog to improve consumers’ rights, lower costs, and foster fairness, honesty and competition in the garbage and recyclingindustry. (Learn more about the mandatory recycling lawin effect in Westchester County.)